Mirandola is known as the city of the Picos, a noble family that ruled here from 1311 to about 1710.
The length of this dynasty and its rule encouraged, to a great extent, the prosperity and growth of this town.
Built during that period are the Cathedral, City Hall, Oratory of the Holy Sacrament, the Church of San Francesco, the Oratory of the Beata Vergine della Porta and the Church of Jesus, which is connected to the Jesuit College.
Today the old castle of Pico houses the Civic Museum with a lot of paintings belonging to the Pico collection as well as to families of the Ducal Court and churches of the old capital.
The earthquake of May 2012 has destroyed almost completly part of the historic centre of Mirandola. The castle was damaged, as well as many ancient churches and palaces.