Rio Saliceto

Logo CC

Rio Saliceto is located in the north-west lowlands of the province.


Why visit it

Rio Saliceto is characterized by XVIII and XIX-century artistic features, despite it having been already mentioned in documents dating back to the X century.

For centuries known as Villa di Correggio, Rio Saliceto only obtained administrative autonomy in 1860. Initially named Rio, from the name of the canal - today Tresinaro - which flows along the border with Carpi, it later became San Giorgio in Rio; the name of Rio Saliceto was made official in 1864 because of the marsh willows (salice in Italian) that grow in the area. 

The area was partially reclaimed by the Romans. Some archaeological remains from that time have been found in the area: a tomb, of which a marble lion remains, kept in the courtyard of the Palazzo dei Principi in Correggio; a brick with a recess on the surface, making it easier to handle, was found in via Ca' de' Frati in 1969 during the digging of a well and is now kept in the Municipal Library; the remains of a lithostratum (floor mosaic) was found in the same area in 1912. 


Do not miss

The San Giorgio Church is of ancient origin and was rebuilt in 1879 in neoclassical style. The façade has three doors and the windows are round. The bell tower is 36 metres high.
The Town Hall, a building in neoclassical style dating back to the late XIX century, and the Palazzo dei Diamanti, built in the early XX century.


Fun

The small and pretty Municipal Theatre, dating back to the early XX century, is the venue of an important theatre season.


Main events

May Festival - second weekend of May
Craft, agricultural, industrial and commercial festival.

Last update 15/03/2021

You may also like...

OFFICIAL TOURIST INFORMATION SITE © 2020 - 2021 Emilia-Romagna Region Tourism and Commerce Department