The Municipality of Vigarano Mainarda is located between Bologna and Modena. Its territory is characterized by two major centers, Vigarano Mainarda and Vigarano Pieve dotted with hamlets and villages of Roman origin.
This town takes its name from the noble Mainardi family, which owned land in the area.
It looks like a typical agrarian village built up around a square dominated by an elegant parish church and surrounded by houses and villas erected by the wealthier landowners.
Situated nearby is an older village bearing a similar name, Vigarano Pieve.
Delizia Estense della Diamantina
A tower was built here in the 7th century on the site of previous Roman settlement and later, during the land reclamation project carried out by Borso d'Este at Polesine di Casaglia, the main building of the Diamantina was built around it.
This development took place between the late 1400’s and early 1500’s. The overall construction was carried out in various stages and many changes and restructuring works took place over the years in line with requirements at any given time. The three-storey villa features paired windows. The turreted tower was modified in the 19th century and now features a Moorish-style three-lighted window leading on to white balcony supported by two columns.