Scandiano was founded in 1262 by Gilberto Fogliani with the construction of a Castle around which developped some houses. Initially built for defensive purposes, it was later transformed into a seigneurial mansion by the family Boiardo (1423-1560. The old centre is still highlighted by the "Boiardi" Fortress.
This Baroque building for eight centuries was Scandiano’s symbol of power. Apart from the Parish Church and the Church of San Giuseppe, Casa di Lazzaro Spallanzi is also worth visiting.
There have been many illustrious residents, including the poet M. M. Boardi (1441 - 1496) and the scientist L. Spallanzi (1711 - 1778). Production Centre of Scandiano and Canossa White Wine.